What is Lexotan used for
Lexotan generic name is Bromazepam. This drug from the group of anxiolytic is a benzodiazepine derivative. It has sedative, anxiolytic, hypnotic, muscle relaxant, and anticonvulsant effects.
The action of the drug is aimed at reducing the excitability of certain parts of the brain, the latter include: the hypothalamus, the thalamus, and the limbic system. This drug is also responsible for inhibition of postsynaptic spinal reflexes. The anxiolytic effect of the drug lies in its effect on the amygdala body, which belongs to the components of the limbic system, which manifests itself in suppression of negative emotions such as anxiety, fear, and restlessness.
Due to the pronounced sedative effect that the drug has on the reticular formation of the GM trunk, as well as on the thalamus nuclei, it significantly affects the severity of fear and anxiety. The anxiolytic effect is paired with a sleeping pill, which promotes rapid falling asleep, prolongs the duration of sleep, and reduces the likelihood of awakening at night. The sleeping effect itself is due to the inhibition of the RF cells of the GM. It suppresses not only emotional, but also motor and vegetative stimuli responsible for the processes of falling asleep.
Lexotan 3mg uses
Lexotan 3mg is used to treat various pathologies, namely:
neurotic and psychopathic disorders, which are accompanied by increased anxiety, phobias, and emotional tension;
- sleep disorders accompanied by feelings of fear;
- psychosomatic pathologies of the cardiovascular system, which include: emotional hypertension, false angina pectorals;
- psychosomatic disorders of the respiratory system, namely the feeling of lack of air, hyperventilation;
- psychosomatic disorders of the gastrointestinal tract: spastic colitis;
- psychosomatic disorders of the urinary system: pollakiuria, menstrual disorders.
- headaches of psychogenic etiology;
- skin diseases of psychogenic etiology;
How long does Lexotan stay in your system
Lexotan persists within the body for 1 to 3 days, but this depends on many aspects, namely the frequency of administration, the dosage of the drug and the individual characteristics of the patient’s body.
It is important to take into account that the period of action of Lexotan also depends on the anapestic data of the patient, concomitant drug intake and unwanted effects.
Lexotan dosage for adults
Medicamento Lexotan 3mg is used per of (oral). The dosage is chosen individually for each individual patient. During the course of treatment in an outpatient setting, the drug dosage starts from 1.5 to 3 milligrams with a multiplicity of administration 3 times a day.
Under hospital conditions, the dose of Lexotan 6 mg starts from 6 to 12 mg with a multiplicity of administration – 2-3 times a day. Depending on the prescription, therapy may take from 14 days to 3 months. If necessary, the course may be prolonged, but the subsequent withdrawal of the drug should be carried out in stages.
Children and elderly people are prescribed the drug in minimal dosages.
Lexotan side effects
Medicamento Lexotan 3mg like any other drug has certain side effects:
1. Central and peripheral nervous system: at the beginning of treatment in the vast majority of cases, pathological drowsiness, apathy, weakness, vertigo, distraction, retardation of motor and mental reactions, impaired coordination, unemotional, migraines, depressive episodes, trembling limbs, memory and sleep quality disorders are typical for elderly people.
2. Blood system: decreased number of leukocytes, neutrophils, granulocytes, platelets, increased body temperature, weakness, sore throat, unmotivated weakness, decreased number of red blood cells and hemoglobin.
3. Digestive system: dry oral mucosa or increased salivary secretion, reflux, nausea, vomiting, appetite impairment, stool disorders as constipation or diarrhea, increased liver enzymes, alkaline phosphatase, hirsuteness of skin and mucous membranes.
4. Urinary system: voluntary excretion of urine, acute retention of urine, decrease in functional ability of the kidneys.
5. Sexual system: decreased libido, disruption of the menstrual cycle.
6. Allergic manifestations: itching of the skin, rash.
7. Cardiovascular system: decreased blood pressure, increased heart rate, arrhythmias.
8. Weight loss.
If you experience any of the above side effects while taking this medicine, you should inform your doctor immediately. Shortness of breath, severe migraines, or sudden arrhythmias require immediate medical attention.
Is Lexotan addictive?
One of the most common side effects of benzodiazepines is addiction. That is, when taking this drug for a long time, its effectiveness decreases, and after the end of the course of treatment, withdrawal syndrome develops. In order to avoid such a problem, you should carefully study the instructions for use of the medication, before taking it and observe the dosage and frequency of intake prescribed by the doctor.
Is Lexotan a sleeping pill?
Lexotan 3 mg is effective against insomnia. The action of this drug is aimed at reducing the excitability of nerve cells and myorelaxis, which as a result has a positive effect on the process of falling asleep and on the quality of sleep in general.
Please note, the drug has many undesirable effects, including addiction, so you should only take it if prescribed by a specialist.
Lexotan is used for the treatment of increased anxiety, as well as in other psychiatric disorders. Should not be used when:
- allergy to benzodiazepines, as well as additive components of the drug;
- muscle weakness;
- disease of the respiratory system;
- decreased functional ability of the kidneys and liver;
- pregnancy and lactation;
- it is not recommended to take the drug in persons under 18 years of age.
With caution, take Lexotan 6mg for persons with a history of myocardial infarction, depressive episodes, glaucoma, sleep apnea.
Before you start taking Lexotan, you should consult a specialist and follow his recommendations regarding the dosage of the drug.
Exceeding the recommended dose of the drug can lead to many unpleasant symptoms and even death. Symptoms of overdose include:
- abnormal drowsiness;
- impaired movement coordination;
- shortness of breath;
- swelling of soft tissues;
- impairment of consciousness up to and including coma.
If you have taken more than the recommended dose, you should immediately seek help at a medical facility, which will provide the necessary amount of treatment measures aimed at maintaining vital functions, namely breathing and circulation. In some cases, gastric lavage and administration of an antidote are performed.
In order to protect yourself from overdose, you should strictly follow the doctor’s recommendations concerning the use of the drug. It is also not recommended to combine taking Lexotan with alcoholic beverages or other drugs, because this may increase the effect of the drug.
What do I do if I miss taking my pills?
If you forget to take a pill, you should not take a double dose, you should wait for the next scheduled dose of the drug. The next day, go back to your usual medication regimen. Ask your doctor or pharmacist for help if you have difficulty using the medicine, its dosage, or how often you should take it.
The most common interactions include:
1. Alcohol: combined use of alcohol and Lexotan depresses CNS, which significantly affects the vital centers, namely the respiratory center, which can subsequently lead to death.
2. Drugs with depressant effect on CNS, such as barbiturates, anxiolytic and narcotics. Concomitant use of these groups of drugs with Lexotan potentiates the depressive effect on the nervous system and may lead to irreversible consequences.
3. Drugs belonging to the group of antidepressants, as well as monoamine oxidase inhibitors. Combined use of these drugs with Lexotan causes a life-threatening increase in blood pressure.
4. OCs: Lexotan can inhibit the effect of oral contraceptives, which can cause unwanted pregnancy.
If you are taking additional drugs or supplements for certain chronic diseases, you should inform your doctor. This way you will be warned about interactions with a particular drug, and you will be able to prevent many unwanted effects.